www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from themortalgroove. Make your own badge here.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Elliott Smith, Ben Folds and "Randomness"

So I was at work this morning, and just finished listening to Shinola Vol. 1 by Ween (Not too bad, a little uneven, but decent for an in between album release).

Anyhoo, I put my MP3 player on Random Play All, and it starts up with the fantastic "Memory Lane" by Elliott Smith.

So the spooky "random" part of this is that the next song that came on after "Memory Lane" is "Late" by Ben Folds. . . The song he wrote after he heard Elloitt Smith had died . . .

FREAKY!!!

Well, I tend to think that machines cannot do "real" randomness since they are basically following an algorithm, but it still freaked the hell out of me!

Some tribute songs are so gushy and stupid, but I really like "Late."

A snippet of lyric from "Late":


Elliott, man, you played a fine guitar
And some dirty basketball
The songs you wrote
Got me through a lot
Just wanna tell you that

But it's too late
It's too late
No, don't you know
it's been too late
for a long time

Comments on "Elliott Smith, Ben Folds and "Randomness""

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:45 PM) : 

I'm looking for the name of the band or cd that Ben Folds and Elliot Smith did together. HELP!

 

post a comment